Category: Woodworking

  • Building a swing set with A-frame brackets

    We just built my son a swing set using Eastern Jungle Gym’s A-frame brackets. When I started out, I couldn’t find a guide that laid out everything I needed to buy, how to put it together, and what kind of footprint the finished product would have. So I decided to put one together. Finished Dimensions […]

    Building a swing set with A-frame brackets
  • Dry vase

    I got back out in the shop today for the first time in a while. I decided to split a piece of cherry I’d been saving and turn it. With the first piece, I had intended to make another French rolling pin, but a few unfortunately placed cracks foiled that plan. Only the middle section […]

    Dry vase
  • Finished the Skin-on-frame Adirondack Guideboat

    I’m thrilled with how it turned out. Detailed build post coming soon. Until then, I’ll be out rowing on the Hudson.

    Finished the Skin-on-frame Adirondack Guideboat
  • Spoon Carving

    Some spoons, scoops, and spatulas I’ve carved in the past two years: My Process Roughing: I tend to cut out most of my blanks on the bandsaw, though sometimes I axe out my blanks. Occasionally I’ll use a drawknife on my shavehorse. Shaping: I shape with both a Foredom rotary tool and a standard Mora […]

    Spoon Carving
  • Making kitchen tools from a log

    A friend gave me some nice cherry logs that I sealed the ends of and let dry for the past year. I haven’t done much of my own milling, but I decided to get one of the logs out and see how much I could make out of it. What I ended up getting out […]

    Making kitchen tools from a log
  • Bread Lames

    Like a lot of folks, I’ve been baking sourdough bread this year, and I wanted a bread lame to score the top. While making a few other projects, namely spoons, I split two small pieces of cherry with a natural curve that I thought would be perfect for a bread lame, so I got to […]

    Bread Lames
  • Turning Candlesticks on the Lathe

    Back in September I made a serious effort to learn how to turn wood on the lathe. I turned a few tenons on the stool legs earlier this year, but that is it. I was on the hunt for a good beginner project and Amanda asked for some candlesticks, so I got to work. As […]

    Turning Candlesticks on the Lathe
  • Turning Christmas Ornaments

    We decided to change up our Christmas decor this year and go with an all natural aesthetic. Dried orange and cranberry garland, a basket instead of the tree stand, and wooden ornaments. I’ve been learning how to do lathe work this year, so after Thanksgiving I started turning ornaments. I’m still pretty new to turning […]

    Turning Christmas Ornaments
  • Wooden Joiner’s Mallets

    I made three wooden joiners mallets this year, following the Paul Sellers videos (1, 2, 3). The first has a head of laminated Beech and an Ash handle. Mostly because that is what I had around! There are no nails or screws in these, just wooden joinery. The handle and mortise in the head are […]

    Wooden Joiner’s Mallets
  • Malloreddus Boards

    Amanda was watching a video about different types of handmade pasta (we had a lot of time on our hands during the pandemic and finally got some flour!) and asked if I might be able to make a malloreddus board. I decided to give it a try! I started with sawing and planing down a […]

    Malloreddus Boards
  • Coffee Filter Holder

    Amanda and I wanted to hang our coffee filters in a little nook above our coffee grinder, and I happened to have a lot of free time on my hands back in April, so I decided to make one. This one by Yoshitaka Nakaya that inspired me: I didn’t really have much of a side […]

    Coffee Filter Holder
  • Cape Falcon F1 Kayak Builds

    Over the winter of 2018/2019 and summer of 2019 I built two Cape Falcon F1 skin-on-frame style kayaks. I want to be better about documing my projects here, so I’m taking a few posts to document the backlog. The primary benefit of a skin-on-frame style kayak is how light it is. They end up being […]

    Cape Falcon F1 Kayak Builds
  • Maintenance on a Shopsmith Mark V

    Fixing a stuck floating motor sheave and cleaning out years of grime on a Shopsmith Mark V.