Malloreddus Boards

Amanda was watching a video about different types of handmade pasta (we had a lot of time on our hands during the pandemic and finally got some flour!) and asked if I might be able to make a malloreddus board. I decided to give it a try!

I started with sawing and planing down a piece of Beech I had for the board:

I tried a bunch different methods of making the grooves:

  1. Carving by hand didn’t work. I could never get lines that straight.
  2. Using a Dremel didn’t work. Again, I couldn’t get lines that straight.
  3. Using a Japanese pull-saw was okay, but still sloppy looking.
  4. I don’t have a router, but a router table might have worked.
  5. Tablesaw!

I ended up using a tablesaw tilted at a 45 degree angle and a bunch of homemade spacers, slightly wider and longer than popsicle sticks that I cut out of an old piece of fencing that I planed down. I started with all of the spacers, then I’d cut a groove, remove a spacer, and repeat.

It worked! Took me a little while to get the blade height just right, but I’m happy with how it turned out.

They needed a little clean up with some sanding sticks, but otherwise looked good!

I made two of them and cut them out in a round shape with a handle.

After some sanding, they were ready to make Malloreddus with!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *