This July 4, people all across America will be at cookouts and celebrations, their hearts swelling with patriotism for their country and everything in it. Many people will watch fireworks, sing the national anthem, honor the flag, and listen to stories of how the founding fathers inspired a nation to gain its independence. The media will once again rave with support for the United States’ military presence in the middle east and lecture on how the all-powerful state is protecting us and our “freedoms”. We will read in the paper and watch on television the importance of patriotism, obeying the “law”, and paying tribute to all of our “civil servants”.
I believe, however, that July 4 is no longer a holiday celebrating our independence and liberty. It has transitioned over the years into a holiday celebrating the state. With each passing year, we are fed more statist propoganda.
Let me remind you of just a few of the ways that your liberty is being restricted in the United States today:
– A large percentage of your income is being taken away by force
– Your phone conversations and emails are no longer actually private
– You can no longer eat the food that you wish
– You are told what you can and cannot do with your own property
– There is no longer a free movement of goods and people in this country
– Import quotas and excessive tariffs are limiting imports and artificially raising prices of goods
– The paper fiat money in your pocket is worth less every day
– The legislators grant monopolies to companies and not only restricts but almost exterminates competition
– And just as a July 4 example, keep in mind that most of the people in this country are not allowed to set off their own fireworks on their own property and so must go to a government-sponsored show paid for with confiscated wealth.
The list goes on and on.
We need a new revolution. I refuse to celebrate the State today. I am going to celebrate the little bit of freedom we have left and try to persuade people to abandon their nationalism and join in the fight for liberty and true independence (independence from the state).
Leave a Reply